Welcome to the latest Science highlights from the Science and Technology Facilities Council’s Scientific Computing Department.
Once again this report identifies particular highlights within the context of the SCD 5 year strategic plan (2017 – 2021) and includes some really interesting work, such as :
- Using simulations to examine the formation of frozen salt films in molten salt fast reactors, with a view to reducing corrosion of the reactor walls.
- An introduction to Longbow, a tool that runs simulations on supercomputers whilst giving the impression they are running on your own PC.
- Advances in electron cryo-microscopy and new software that focuses on the interpretation of 3D molecular shapes obtained from images taken with an electron microscope.
- DAFNI, a national platform for the computational needs in support of data analysis; infrastructure research; and strategic thinking for the UK’s long term planning and investment needs.
- Our activities engaging with schools and young people to provide them with new skills and enthuse and encourage them to look at computational science as a career choice.
SCD Science Highlights
SCARF Annual Reports