Dr. Jeyan Thiyagalingam BScEng(Hons), PhD (Imperial), FBCS, FHEA, MIEEE, MIET
Head of the Scientific Machine Learnig (SciML) Group
Prior to joining STFC-RAL, I was an assistant professor in the school of Electrical Engineering and Electronics and Computer Sciences at the University of Liverpool. Prior to that, I was based at MathWorks; and at the University of Oxford both as a post-doctoral researcher and later as a James Martin Fellow focusing on high performance, Big data and energy efficient computing. I am also a member of the HiPEAC Network. I have a very strong background on high performance computing, scientific data processing algorithms, signal processing and machine learning. Previously, I was a co-investigator on several grants, including Big Hypothesis (£2.5M from EPSRC).
- Sam Knight - Efficient video tracking algorithms for autonomous vehicles [University of Liverpool].
- Sergi Siso - Efficient runtime algorithms for vectorising (data processing) applications [University of Liverpool].
- Siu Lun Yeung - Efficient estimators and smoothers [University of Liverpool].
- Associate Editor, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, (2019-),
- Associate Editor, Elsevier Journal of Software, SoftwareX, Signal / Data Processing Track. (2017-2018)
- Reviewer for a number of journals in machine learning, HPC and signal processing.
- Member of the Technical Programme Committee, Main Track of High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS) 2017.
- Organising Chair Member, Special Track High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPBench) 2017.
- Member of the programme committee for the International Conference on Energy-Aware High Performance Computing (EnA-HPC 2014, through 2016).
- Member of the programme committee for the International Supercomputing Conference (ISC 2013 through 2016)
- Organising Chair Member, Special Track High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPBench) 2016.
- Committee Member, Government Software Engineering Working Group TSB/KTN, 2013-2014.
- Tony Hey, Keith Butler, Samuel Jackson and Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Machine Learning and Big Scientific Data, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, Accepted for Publication, August 2019. [IF=3.1]
- Miao Zhang, Kanapathippillai Cumanan, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Wei Wang, Alister G. Burr, Zhiguo Ding, and Octavia A. Dobre, Energy Efficiency Optimization for Secure Transmission in MISO Cognitive Radio Network with Energy Harvesting, IEEE Access, Accepted for Publicaiton, August 2019. [IF=4.098]
- Yan Zuo, Ratnasingham Tharmarasa, Rahim Zargani, Nathan Kashyap, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Thia Kirubarajan, MILP Formulation for Aircraf tPath Planning in Persistent Surveillance, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Accepted for Publication, August 2019. [IF=2.797]
- Sergi Siso, Wes Armour, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Evaluating Auto-Vectorizing Compilers through Objective Withdrawal of Useful Information, ACM Transactions on Architecture and Code Optimization, Accepted for Publication, August 2019. [IF=1.55]
- Haitham Al-Obiedollah, Kanapathippillai Cumanan, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Alister G. Burr, Zhiguo Ding, Octavia A. Dobre, Energy Efficient Beamforming Design for MISO Non-Orthogonal Multiple Access Systems, IEEE Transactions on Communications, July Accepted for Publication, 2019 [IF = 4.671]
- Fuquan Zhang, Pengcheng
Zhao, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Thia Kirubarajan, Terrain-Influenced,
Incremental Watchtower Expansion for Wildfire Detection, Science of the
Total Environment, Volume 654, 1 March 2019, Pages 164-176 [5 Year IF: 4.6]
- Yanchun Xie, Jimin Xiao, Kaizhu Huang, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Yao Zhao, Correlation Filter Selection for Visual Tracking Using Reinforcement Learning, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Accepted, December 2018 [5 Year IF=3.56]
- Bin Yang, J. Wang,
Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam and Thia Kirubarajan, Multi-Object Bayesian
Filter with Amplitude Information in Clutter Background, Elsevier
Journal of Signal Processing, Volume 152, November 2018, Pages 22-34 [5 Year IF: 3.00]
- Haowen Zhou, Jinguan
Huang, Feng Lu, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam and Thia Kirubarajan, Echo
State Kernel Recursive Least Squares Algorithm for Machine Condition
Prediction, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 111,
October 2018, Pages 68-86 [5 Year IF: 4.87]
- Fuquan Zhang, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Thia Kirubarajan, Shuwen Xu, Speed-Adaptive Multi-Copy Routing for Vehicular Delay Tolerant Networks, Future Generation Computer Systems, 2018, Accepted [5 Year IF: 4.6]
- Shurui Zhang, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Weixing Sheng, Thia Kirubarajan, Xiaofeng Ma, Low Complexity Adaptive Broadband Beamforming Based on the Non-Uniform Domain Decomposition Method, Elsevier Journal of Signal Processing, 66-75, (151), 2018, Accepted [5 Year IF: 3.00]
- Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Lykourgos Kekampanos and Simon Maskell, Exact Resampling-based MapReduce Particle Filter, EURASIP Journal of Signal Processing, Nov 2017 [5 Year IF: 1.96]
- Brian Duffy, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Simon Walton, Anne Trefethen, David J. Smith, Jackson C. Kirkman-Brown, Eamonn A. Gaffney and Min Chen, Glyph-Based Video Visualization for Semen Analysis, IEEE Transactions on Visualisation and Computer Graphics, [5 Year IF: 2.45]
- Simon Walton, Kai Berger, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Brian Duffy, Hui Fang, Cameron Holloway, Anne E. Trefethen, Min Chen, Visualizing Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (CMR) Imagery: Challenges and Opportunities, Journal of Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, 115(2-3):349-58, 2014 [5 Year IF: 3.84]
- Min Chen, Simon Walton, Kai Berger, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Brian Duffy, Hui Fang, Cameron Holloway, Anne E. Trefethen, Visual Multiplexing, EuroVis 2014, Computer Graphics Forum and EuroVis2014, 33(3), 2014. [5 Year Impact: 1.91]
- Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Brian Duffy, Simon Walton, Min Chen, Complexity Plots, Computer Graphics Forum and EuroVis2013, 32(3), 111-120, 2013. [5 Year IF: 1.91]
- G.R. Mudalige, M.B. Giles, J. Thiyagalingam, I. Reguly, C. Bertolli, P.H.J. Kelly, A.E. Trefethen, Design and Performance of a High-level Unstructured Mesh Framework on Heterogeneous Parallel Systems, Journal of Parallel Computing, 39(11), 669 - 692, 2013. [5 Year IF: 1.89]
- Anne Trefethen, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Energy-Aware Software: Challenges, Opportunities and Strategies, Journal of Computational Sciences, 4(6), 444–449, 2013.
- Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Daniel Goodman, Julia Schnabel, Anne Trefethen, Vicente Grau, On the usage of GPUs for Efficient Motion Estimation in Medical Image Sequences, Journal of Biomedical Imaging, Volume 2011, Article 137604, pages 1:1-1:15, 2011.
- Thiyagalingam, J., Beckmann, O. and Kelly, P. H. J, Is Morton layout competitive for large two-dimensional arrays yet?. Journal of Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, 18: 1509–1539, 2006.
Conferences and Workshops
- Alessandro Varsi, Kekempanos Lykourgos, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Simon Maskell, Parallelising Particle Filters with Deterministic Runtime on Distributed Memory Systems, Accepted, IEE Conference on Intelligent Signal Processing, 2017
- Hui Fang, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Nik Bessis, Eran Edirisinghe, Fast and Reliable Human Action Recognition In Video Sequences By Sequential Analysis, IEEE Conference on Intelligent Image Processing, 2017
- Tarje Nissen-Meyer, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Martin van Driel, Simon Staehler, HPC-scaling and energy consumption of the global seismic wave-propagation code AxiSEM, Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 16, 2014
- Jing Guo, Bob Bernecky, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Sven-Bodo Scholz, Polyhedral Methods for Improving Parallel Update-in-Place, IMPACT 2014, Proceedings of the 4th International Conference in Polyhedral Compilation Techniques, pages 1-9, 2014.
- Albert Solernou, Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Mihai Duta, Anne Trefethen , The Effect of Topology-Aware Process and Thread Placement on Performance and Energy, International Conference in Supercomputing, 2013, Vol. 7905, pages 357-371, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2013.
- Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Anne Trefethen, Mathematical Libraries and Energy Efficiency, SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing (SIAM PP12), Savanah, Georgia, February 2012.
- Jeyarajan Thiyagalingam, Anne Trefethen, Towards Developing Energy-Aware Algorithms, Proceedings of the Many Core, Reconfigurable Supercomputing (MRSC 2011), Bristol, UK, 2011.
- J. Guo, W. Rodrigues, J. Thiyagalingam, F. Guyomarch, S.B. Scholz, P. Boulet, Harnessing the Power of GPUs without Losing Abstractions in SaC and ArrayOL: A Comparative Study, Proceedings of the HIPS/IPDPS 2011, pages 1183 – 1190, 2011
- J. Guo, J. Thiyagalingam, S.B. Scholz, Breaking the GPU Programming Barrier with the Auto-Parallelising SAC Compiler, pages 15-24, DAMP 2011.
- J. Guo, J. Thiyagalingam, S.B.Sholz, Towards Compiling SaC to CUDA, Trends in Functional Programming, Vol. (10), Pages 33-48, 2010.
- M. Duta, J.Thiyagalingam, A. Trefethen, A.Goyal,V. Grau, N. Smith, Parallel Simulation for Parameter Estimation of Optical Tissue Properties, Lecture Notes In Computer Sciences Vol. 6271, pages 51 62, Euro-Par 2010.
- T. Weigold, P. Buhler, J. Thiyagalingam, A. Basukoski, V. Getov, Advanced Grid Programming with Components: A Biometric Identification Case Study, Proceedings of the 32nd IEEE International Conference on Computer Software and Applications (COMPSAC) 2008, pages 401-408, 2008.
- J, Thiyagalingam J., V. Getov, S. Panagiotidi, O. Beckmann, J. Darlington. Domain-Specific Metadata for Model Validation and Performance Optimisation. Achievements in European Research on Grid Systems, pages. 165-178, 2007.
- J. Thiyagalingam. O. Beckmann, Paul H. J. Kelly, Minimising Associativity Conflicts in Morton Layout, Vol. 3911, Sixth International Conference On Parallel Processing And Applied Mathematics, PPAM-2005.
- J. Thiyagalingam. P. H. J. Kelly, Is Morton Layout Competitive for Large Two Dimensional Arrays? Lecture Notes In Computer Sciences Vol. 2400, pages 280 288, Euro-Par 2002, Paderborn, Germany.
- J. Thiyagalingam. O. Beckmann, P. H. J. Kelly, Improving the Performance of Basic Morton Layout by Array Alignment and Loop Unrolling, Lecture Notes in Computer Sciences, Vol. 2400, pages 241-257, LCPC 2003, Texas,
- J. Thiyagalingam. O. Beckmann, P. H. J. Kelly, Exhaustive Evaluation of Row-major, Column-major and Morton Layouts for Large Two-Dimensional Arrays, Proceedings of the UKPEW 2003, pp 340—351. UKPEW 2003, Warwick, England.
- J. Thiyagalingam. S. Isaiadis, V. Getov, Towards Building a Generic Grid Services Platform: A Component Oriented Approach, In Component Models and Systems for Grid Applications, Proceedings of the ICS 2004, France, pp 39—56, ICS-2004, St. Malo, France.
- A. Basukoski, V. Getov, J. Thiyagalingam, Component-Based Development Environment For Grid: Design And Implementation, To appear in Lecture Notes of Computer Science, The Proceedings of the Annual Core-Grid, 2007, Heraklion, Greece.
- J. Thiyagalingam, V. Getov, A Metadata Extraction Tool for Software Components in Grid Applications, Proceedings of the IEEE Conference in Modern Computing Systems, Sofia, Bulgaria. 2006 .pp 189-196.
- J. Thiyagalingam, N. Parlavantzas, S. Isaiadis, L. Henrio, D. Caromel, V. S. Getov, Proposal for a Lightweight Generic Grid Platform Architecture, Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing 2006, Paris, France.